On January 13th, 1943, Adolf Hitler issued the decree that stipulated that all construction projects which were unimportant for the war had to be stopped. Unfortunately for Himmler, the list of projects to be abandoned, included his Wewelsburg.
He either did not dare to ask The Führer for a special dispensation or (more likely) his request was denied. Disobeying the explicit Hitler’s order was, obviously, out of the question.
And then Germany lost the war. On April 3rd, 1945, Wewelsburg was taken and occupied by the 3rd Armored Division of the U.S. Army (do I have to remind you that the castle was triangular?). The official nickname of the division was… “Spearhead“.
As Himmler never completed this transformation project, we can only speculate what the final result was supposed to look like. Only two rooms were more or less (one more, another less) completed.
These rooms were The Obergruppenführersaal (SS Generals’ Hall) and the Gruft (crypt). The latter was sometimes called Valhalla and had a distinct acoustics and illumination. The axis of this tower was to be the actual “Center of the World”.
A preparation for an eternal flame in the crypt, a swastika ornament in its zenith, and a sun wheel embedded in the floor of the “Obergruppenführersaal” lie on this axis. Both redesigned rooms were never used. Although there is no shortage of speculation, nothing is really known about the plans for designated ceremonies in the North Tower.
Since the 1990s the ornament in the upper chamber has been called the “Black Sun” occasionally. However, it is not known if the SS had a special name for the ornament nor if they attributed a special meaning to it.
Twelve pedestals were placed around the perimeter of the crypt, each with a wall niche above it. Again, there is a lot of speculation about their function but in reality their purpose is unknown. At the zenith of the dome is a swastika with ornamentally extended arms – most likely a symbol of the Sun, eternal life… and God.